|skud (skud) wrote,|
@ 2012-06-29 02:38 pm UTC
|Entry tags:||hat, knitting, wip|
Surprise! It turns out I don’t have to change all my Ravelry photos just because I changed Flickr accounts. This has led to a frenzy of photo-taking and project-updating, not to mention a backlog of things I want to post here.
And so, some hats. I’ve recently started growing out my hair which means lots of hair days, and hence lots of hats. I’ve been knitting a number of hats in fingering weight yarn, which makes them light enough to wear all day, indoors and out, at least at this time of year.
First up was Cecily, which I knitted in Knitpicks “Shine” fingering weight (a wool-silk blend). Instead of the ribbed hem I did a picot hem, and I wear it slouchy rather than beret-style. The lace pattern — you can’t see it very clearly here because of the dark colour and because I didn’t block it open, but trust me, it’s there — is easily-memorised and fun to knit. I suspect I’ll be doing this hat again in the not too distant future.
Next up was the Skye Hat, which has a very simple garter ridge and yarnover design, in Mountain Colors “Bearfoot”, which is a mohair blend sock yarn. The colour is a dark warm brown with lighter orangey streaks — this picture has some bluey tones because of the lighting, but it’s really not that colour at all. With regard to the pattern: I didn’t do the contrast border, and I tried to fiddle with the stitch count to make it slouchy the way I wanted, but I probably shouldn’t have messed with it because the ribbed band came out a little loose and I found it difficult to make the decreases work out right. It’s okay but a bit loose around the ears. I’m tempted to undo the band and reknit it on slightly tighter needles.
And finally, a hat with an upturned garter stitch brim that ties to form a bow — a little bit 20s cloche style, I think — again in Mountain Colors Bearfoot, this time a semi-solid dark red. I’m making it up as I go along and wasn’t sure how to do the band and bow, so I actually started by knitting the main part of the hat (the stockinette section) upward to the centre/top, and then picking up around the bottom edge and knitting downward from there. I’m currently about halfway through the garter switch band. When I’m done I’ll post pics and maybe even write up the pattern properly.
I have lots more WIPs and FOs to post, but I’ll space them out so as not to spam you.